- City Manager
- Public Information
- Solid Waste & Recycling Program
- Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes items such as paint, motor oil, cooking oil, batteries, fluorescent tubes, automotive fluids, cleaners, pesticides, herbicides, and many common household products. It is ILLEGAL to dispose of HHW in the trash or recycling or down storm drains.
Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste Safely, Conveniently, and for Free!
At the Curb- Residents may dispose of used motor oil and filters, and household batteries only (no car batteries) on your regular garbage pick up day. Leave all items next to the brown recycling cart.
- Motor Oil: Pour in a clear plastic container (milk jug), tape lid securely, and place beside recycling cart. Maximum three gallons of oil per pick up.
- Seal oil filters in sealable plastic bag. Please be sure to drain filters completely. Click here for more information. (http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/HazardousWaste/Documents/upload/AdvisoryUsedOilFiltersMarch2017Final.pdf)
- Place used batteries in sealable plastic bag.
- Residents can drop HHW off at the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District HHW (www.centralsan.org) drop-off facility at no charge. Be sure to visit their free reuse room. The facility is located at 4797 Imhoff Place, Martinez and is open Tuesdays through Saturdays, 9 AM – 4 PM. For more information, call 800-646-1431.
- Motor oil and filters can be taken to local automotive businesses. Find out where here: (http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch/Default.aspx?lang=en-US)
- Some local businesses accept batteries and fluorescent light bulbs. For more information, check with Staples, Best Buy, Bill’s Ace Hardware and Batteries & Bulbs.
Location & Hours of Operation
By Appointment Only 7 AM to 2 PM.
4797 Imhoff Place
Martinez, CA 94553
- Hazardous Waste Materials List: Comprehensive A – Z list of HHW materials and items with disposal information.
- Countywide Household Hazardous Waste Information: HHW information for all of Contra Costa County