SCANENGER HUNT SITE #3 The Old School House
The Old School House is the oldest public building in the city and has served many different functions throughout the years. The Old School House opened in 1920 and operated as a school until 1953.
It is one of a handful of structures in Pleasant Hill built before World War II. In 1969 the City of Pleasant Hill formed its own police force and needed a facility to house the new police department. The Old School House was identified and transformed into a police station. Prior to 1969, the City had contracted with the county for police services.
In 1982, The Pleasant Hill Recreation & Park District bought it from the Mt. Diablo Unified School District for recreation purposes.
Volunteers and several community groups, including the The Onstage Theatre Company, Pleasant Hill Historical Society and the Contra Costa Guild of Quilters, renovated the interior, removed the offices from the auditorium, installed seats on risers and rebuilt the stage to transform the Old School House into a small community theater.